Oh my gosh this soup turned out SO good. It’s paleo, it can be made vegan, and it’s so dang tasty. But the best thing about this soup is not the flavor, but all the goodness it’s contains. I’m a huge fan of ginger – I like the tea, I love pickled ginger with sushi, I really love ginger candies especially for motion sickness, I used to always carry them with me on flights, but it’s been a long time since those bad larry’s passed my lips.
Ginger helps with nausea, gas, it soothes the intestinal tract, it stimulates the digestive process and even inhibits inflammation. And turmeric? It’s main active ingredient is a compound called curcumin which helps keep glucose levels balanced, supports the pancreas and helps slow the metabolism of carbs. It’s also big on the anti-inflammatory scene – some studies have shown curcumin to be more powerful than aspirin or ibuprofen!
- 5C stock (your choice: bone broth, chicken stock or veggie stock)
- 1 inch Fresh Ginger, grated
- 1 Can Coconut Milk
- 2 TB Thai Red Curry Paste (I love Thai Kitchen's Red Curry Paste, comes in a little glass container)
- 2 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Onion Diced
- 1 Head of Cauliflower
- 3 Carrots
- In a crock pot, add the liquids.
- Dice the onion, cauliflower and carrots and add to the crockpot.
- Add the curry paste, ginger and turmeric.
- Cook on high for 3 - 4 hours.
- Blend in blender in small batches until smooth. (Or use an immersion blender!)
- Vegan Option: a vegan veggie broth or seasoned water.
- Crock Pot Size: a 6 qt. crock pot will likely be best, but you may be able to squeeze the ingredients in something a bit smaller.
- Caution: When blending, be very very careful to do this in small batches and ensure the blender cover is completely closed. The soup will be very hot!
- Spice: Be sure to use the curry paste I use to ensure you don't end up with a super spicy curry paste, unless that's your thing...super spicy...
- On that note: I love love love to add white pepper to these types of soups, it adds another level of mild spice and aroma.
All the best,