Chocolate Mint Balls!
For a while there I was eating Lara Bars like a mad woman. Every morning with my coffee. My morning wasn’t complete if it didn’t include a Lara Bar. I was drawn to the simple ingredients but not psyched about the 15+ grams of sugar per bar. I started looking around online for Lara Bar recipes and came across a chocolate mint one that sounded awesome. I wish I could remember where I got the original recipe so I could give credit to who it is due.
Either way, I tweaked it a bit and here’s what I came up with – feel free to get as organicky (made up word?) as you’d like
- 1/2 C Oats (Gluten Free if you prefer)
- 1/2 C Almonds
- 2 TB Dark Cocoa Powder
- 2 tsp Coconut Oil
- 3/4 tsp Peppermint extract
- 10 Dates
- First, make sure you rinse those dates well and pitt them if they haven’t been pitted already.
- Put everything into a food processor and let it roll for a few minutes until the ingredients form into a doughy ball. This could take 3 - 5 minutes of food processor-ing.
- Due to the varied consistencies of dates, chances are the ball may never form unless you add a teeny bit of water. If you need to add water, add it in teaspoon increments and nothing more. If you add too much water it will make the balls sticky and hard to form.
- Once you have the consistency just right, form the dough into 18ish little balls, by rolling it between your palms. Careful not to eat it all like brownie batter. I speak from experience.
- *VERY IMPORTANT* make sure you use peppermint extract as opposed to plain old mint extract. If you use the mint version, the balls will taste like you’re eating wrigley’s spearmint gum. Learned that the hard way.
- Ball size - it does matter. They should be the size of a melon ball, not a softball : )
- Alternative: If you aren’t into oats, I’m thinking you could replace them with unsweetened coconut and turn them into a fatbomb of sorts.